Have you heard of the Okee Dokee Brothers? My brother told me that his family loved their music. He shared that they were funny and their music was linked to real life adventures. I stored the information away and after another visit with his family we watched some of the Okee Dokee Brothers DVD segments. After paying attention and really listening to their adventures and songs, I fell in love with this creative duo.
Can You Canoe? is the first Okee Dokee Brothers CD. Their second CD is Through the Woods and their third one album, Saddle Up, is coming out in May 2016. (I cannot wait to hear it!) This album features songs from their 30-day trip on the great Mississippi River. It also won a Grammy in 2013 for Best Children's Album!
This is a great CD for background listening or on the go in the car with your family. The songs range from quiet and calm to clapping and tapping out some dance steps. The song writers Justin Lansing and Joe Mailander wrote every song on the CD. The album insert is a small booklet with little paragraphs about each song and the story behind it. Also included in the case is a DVD with videos they filmed along their journey. You can get a preview of their songs as well as their videos on their website. Below is the track list and a few notes from me. The italicized tracks were some of my favorites from Can You Canoe?
Track List --
1. Can You Canoe?
2. Haul Away Joe (with Garth Hudson)*
3. Mr. and Mrs. Sippy - a silly spelling song for Mississippi
4. The Bullfrog Opera (with Morgan Taylor)** - very mellow and dreamy like calm song
5. Rosita - a mosquito song!
6. Campin' Tent - a camping song
7. Memphis Town - a train song
8. Along for the Ride (with Rachel Loshak)** - mellow out and float along the river
9. Muddy River
10. The Boatman's Dance - pairs well with track 2 Haul Away Joe
11. King Kong Kitchie Kitchie Ki-Moe-O - mellow out and sway with the stream
12. Thousand Star Hotel - calm down and sleep
13. Brother - upbeat and let it roll!
14. Small and Simple (with Elizabeth Mitchell)*** - calm down and sleep
15. Roll on River (with Garth Hudson)*
*Garth Hudson from The Band
**Morgan Taylor and Rachel Loshak from Gustafer Yellowgold
***Elizabeth Mitchell from You Are My Flower
Reviewed from a personal copy.
Album: Can You Canoe?
Artist: The Okee Dokee Brothers
Label: Okee Dokee Music
Genre: Folk / Americana / Kindie / Family
Release Date: May 15, 2012