Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Review: Crenshaw

I picked up Crenshaw because I enjoyed Applegate’s The One and Only Ivan. I didn’t even bother to read the back cover summary. The cover looked sweet and magical. I’m always up for a fantasy story!

Applegate did not create a fantasy story. She wrote realistic fiction with an imaginary friend. (Thank you for the Harvey quote at the beginning of the book!) It is a story about one family's struggle with homelessness. A story that I did not expect, but one that truly is an eye opener into another person's world. I felt like I was walking in someone else's shoes as I listened to Jackson and his descriptions of his life. Crenshaw is his imaginary friend that appeared when he was needed. The cat brought humor, companionship, council, and frustration to Jackson. Crenshaw showed that everyone needs a friend, even if it is imaginary.

Hello, again, Mr. Kirby Heyborne! I’ve enjoyed several of Heyborne’s book narrations. This is another great listen. His voice was believable for 4th grader Jackson. He also added different vocal variations for the other characters in Crenshaw.

Reviewed from a library copy.

Audio Book Details...
Crenshaw by Katherine Applegate
Read by Kirbey Heyborne
Produced by Listening Library
Number of Discs: 3
Total Time: 3 Hours, 18 Minutes
Release Date: September 2015
ISBN: 9780399564642



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...