Monday, March 7, 2016

Review: Nooks & Crannies

Nooks & Crannies is a new historical mystery written by Jessica Lawson. Tabitha Crum's only friend is a mouse she calls Pemberly. Her parents find her annoying and one day after returning home from school they are packing up the house to leave. Before they hightail it out of England, the Crum's are invited to a visit the mysterious country estate of Countess Camilla DeMoss. Hoping for a better life, the Crum's detour and travel to the estate along with five other families.

Adolescent Audio Adventures reviews Nooks & Crannies
Mysteries abound in Lawson's 2015 title. It also read authentic British. I had to look up Lawson's bio and was utterly shocked to see that she resides in Colorado. Well done on creating a novel away from where you reside, Ms. Lawson. It was clever and spooky. (One co-worker shared they found it creepy.) I didn't find it too spooky to share with elementary students or middle grader readers. I think they would enjoy it, if they like mysteries, histories, or British fiction. I kept thinking about the movie Murder By Death as I listened to Tabitha's tale. Funny movie, but I would not recommend it for family movie night. The story wrapped up well, but it could lead to more stories. All in all, a good standalone book. (I would definitely listen to more books if they were to follow.)


Susie Riddell narrates Nooks & Crannies. I thought I've heard her read a book before, but I cannot find evidence of it on my blog or GoodReads. Welcome to my headphones, Ms. Riddell! It's a book set in England so a native voice is very appreciated. She also portrays a vast array of characters from young ladies to elderly women as well as boys and men. I will admit that Tabitha's mouse, Pemberley, stole a bit of the show for me. The tiny squeaks were so adorable! It made me want a little mouse friend who lives in my pocket. (In all seriousness, after having a real mouse in the house, I would genuinely not want a mouse.) I would gladly listen to Ms. Riddell tell another story. I'm not sure if Lawson has another Nooks & Crannies tale to tell, but Riddell should return to read it.

Reviewed from a library copy.

Audio Book Details...
Nooks & Crannies by Jessica Lawson
Read by Susie Riddell
Produced by Dreamscape Media
Number of Discs: 6
Total Time: 7 Hours, 27 Minutes
Release Date: June 2015
ISBN: 9781681410678

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...