Friday, April 24, 2015

Review: Nuts to You

Nuts to You by Lynne Rae Perkins


Hello, anthropomorphism. We meet again.


Nuts to You is a story of four squirrels. One squirrel gets removed from his grove and his friends go in search of him. Along the way, they meet other squirrels and become friends as well as squirrel rescuers. They need to move their grove to a new grove because humans are clearing the the forest away from the electrical lines. It's a story about friendship, travel, stories, and conservation.

The story was okay for me. (Your experience can be totally different!) What threw me off the most was the beginning author's note, where a squirrel approached the author to eat part of her sandwich and then share his story. It wasn't until I had the book in my hand that I saw there was an ending author's note to finish the beginning squirrel/human dialogue. I didn't hear the second author's note title, so it ran together with the story at the end. That was very confusing to me.

I think beginning chapter readers and animal lovers will enjoy this book. The story would be a good one for family car trips. The actually book has illustrations throughout with wide set lines in short chapters. I didn't know about all the illustrations when I listened to the audiobook and I understood the story just fine without any of the artwork.

Even though this story didn't peak my interest, the narration was great! I liked listening to Jessica Almasy. I've heard her read West of the Moon, Twelve Kinds of Ice, and Operation Yes. Her voice is youthful and energetic. It was also good to hear the squirrel names rather than reading them. Just to name a few names - TsTs, Chrika, and Tsam. Those names would stump me if I has reading it myself. There is another female voice that assists with technical information on the discs (end of disc one, etc). Recorded Books also prints the track number with the chapters on the disc. I think that's a nice touch for readers, especially for readers who follow along with the book as they listen to the audiobook.

Reviewed from an Audiobook Jukebox copy. Thank you, Recorded Books!


Recorded Books
9781490651224

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...