Monday, March 13, 2017

Music Review: Kids in the City

Singer Laura Doherty is a new and old artist name for me. In addition to producing her own music, she is the director of the Wiggleworms program at the Old Town School of Folk Music in Chicago. At the library, we have a Wiggleworms CD and love it for storytime. I stumbled upon Doherty's "solo" albums while reading through librarian blogs. I wish I could remember which blog, but I can't recall. If I find it again, I'll try to tag the post!

Laura Doherty is crAdolescent Audio Adventures reviews Kids in the City CD by Laura Dohertyeative, mellow,Kids in the City is a great CD for family listening or listening in the car on a roadtrip. The CD case is out of cardboard with production notes and thanks printed on the inside. The back cover lists the songs on the disc. There are not printed lyrics included. I added my notes to the track list below. I italicized some of favorite songs on the album. I also added a star to song I think have storytime potential for me. Kids in the City also was named a Parent's Choice GOLD winner. I look forward to hearing more Doherty albums!
and fun. I think





Track List --
1. I Spy -- game song
2. Kitty Cat* -- an invitation to sing along with the hummingbird, bee, pigeon, dog,
3. Hot Dog* -- food song -- colors song -- I could see this done as a flannel board!
4. Uncle Ukulele's Band -- musical instruments -- ukulele, bass, banjo, guitar, mandolin
5. Rockin' at the Zoo -- animal song -- movement song -- lions, monkeys, seals, penguins, elephants
6. Farmer's Market -- food song
7. Hello Hippopotamus -- imaginative song -- animals acting like people around the city
8. Wheels in the City -- I spy song -- impressive list of wheels and a catchy tune
9. El Train* -- transportation song -- smooth song with an element of a freeze song (clickety, clackety, STOP) -- added tidbit at the end of colors (the blue line is connected to the green line, etc)
10. Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head -- classic song
11. Uno Dos Tres* -- counting to ten in Spanish -- echo song -- I appreciated the slower speed of this  counting tune for better learning for littles.
12. Elevator Escalator* -- up and down song -- counting song (1-10 and count down at the end)
13. Sweet Home Chicago -- song originally by Robert Johnson, MPCA, LLC DBA King of Spades -- counting and alphabet song
14. Firefly -- lullaby song

Reviewed from a library copy.

Album: Kids in the City
Artist: Laura Doherty
Label: CD BABY.COM/INDYS
Genre: Kindie / Family
Length: 34:24
Release Date: May 2009
ASIN: B002APNO5G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...