Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Review: Roald Dahl

Happy 100th Birthday, Roald Dahl!

It's amazing to see (and hear) the impact an author can have on readers all over the world. Since The BFG has been created into a movie, a book club that I joined decided to read it. This is my first time reading The BFG. I really appreciated that I had the opportunity to hear a brief biography about Dahl in the audiobook: Who Was Roald Dahl? before hearing The BFG

Who Was Roald Dahl? was a great companion audiobook before reading one of his books. It was very informative without being too much information for young readers. Dahl's life was full of ups and downs. He had love and loss. His boarding school days greatly influenced his stories. He truly focused on writing books for children and I could hear that in The BFG

Rene Ruiz narrated Who Was Roald Dahl? This is the first audiobook I have heard Rene Ruiz read. Nonfiction can be rather dry versus a novel, but I thought it was interesting. Ruiz shared the biography well. I would listen to Ruiz again.

---

The BFG version I heard was read by David Walliams. Again, another new narrator for this listener. Walliams is an English actor and his accent help make the story come alive. Dahl was also British so it makes sense to have another Englishman share his story. The BFG's voice was very memorable for me. All of the creative words Dahl created were read smoothly throughout the entire story. I would like to hear Walliams again.

As for the book itself, I don't need to read it again. I can hear the fun Dahl created for children in his book. I think I'm too adult for it. The words Dahl created sometimes annoyed me. I also was not a fan of the other giants who ate people. I know it's a pretend story, but that thought makes me grimace and my stomach twist. Dahl's writing is very unique. I think he'll continue to be popular all over the world.

Adolescent Audio Adventures reviews Who Was Roald Dahl? and The BFG

Who Was Roald Dahl? I received this audiobook from Penguin Random House for an honest review. Thank you, Listening Library! 

The BFG was reviewed from a library copy.

Audio Book Details...
Who Was Roald Dahl? by True Kelley
Series: Who Is / Who Was series
Read by Rene Ruiz
Produced by Listening Library
Number of Discs: 1
Total Time: 1 hour, 2 minutes
Release Date: June 7, 2016
ISBN: 9780735205512

Audio Book Details...
The BFG by Roald Dahl
Read by David Walliams
Produced by Penguin Audio / Midwest Tapes
Number of Discs: 1
Total Time: 4 hours, 30 minutes
Release Date: 2013
ISBN: 9781611761887

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...