Monday, November 7, 2016

Review: The Writings of Paul Frees

Paul Frees is a legendary voice actor. His voice appears in some of my favorite movies. I was interested in what he wrote and I was in for a surprise. It was not what I expected. He wrote during a different era. The following selections are on the audiobook The Writings of Paul Frees:

Adolescent Audio Adventures reviews The Writings of Paul Frees
Monster from Dimension X (script)
Spike Jones letter
The Collector's Item (Bats)
I'm Drowning My Sorrows lyrics
Partners in Crime (TV Series w/ Jeremiah & Jennifer Shade)
Who Knows? (audition script)
Freddy (short story)

Frees wrote some science fiction and science fiction isn't one of my top genres. It was interesting and a bit creepy. The first story made it hard to continue listening to the whole audiobook. The format of a read script didn't put me off, it was the story. The sound creature, or monster, killed people. The Collector's Item was interesting. It sounded like a silly commercial about a mad man with bats in his attic. And the short story, Freddy, was interesting, too. Freddy was a story about a science loving kid.

Paul Frees' son, Fred Frees, narrated the collection. He's dynamic like his father. I wasn't observant enough to notice that Fred read the book until I was writing my review. I was listening for voices that I recognized and was confused. After realizing my mistake, I knew why Fred's voices were a bit different from Paul's voices that I knew growing up.

Reviewed from an Audiobook Jukebox copy. Thank you, Blackstone Audio!

Audio Book Details...
The Writings of Paul Frees: Scripts and Songs from the Master of Voice, 2nd Edition by Paul Frees
Read by Fred Frees
Produced by BearManor Media
Number of Discs: MP3 download
Total Time: 3 hours, 30 minutes
Release Date: May 31, 2016
ISBN: 9781504743006

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...