Monday, October 12, 2015

Review: The Graveyard Book Full Cast Edition


The Graveyard Book originally came out in 2008. I cannot recall what drew me to the book, but I fell in love with it. Neil Gaiman narrated his story when it first appeared on the shelves. He's a fantastic narrator and I listened to the book several times. When a full cast version of The Graveyard Book came out 2014, I was very intrigued. I've heard few full cast audiobooks, but I have heard hundreds of hours of radio dramas. I was so happy to see one of my local libraries purchase this title. I put it on hold as soon as I could!

The Graveyard Book CD: Full Cast ProductionWhat a well-produced audiobook! Neil Gaiman reading the story was great and the full-cast audio was pretty amazing. The voices together were genuine, believable, and added a new depth to the story. A couple digital effects were added to the story to build part of the characters and/or the situation. I never considered The Graveyard Book as a scary story, but with the added effects it definitely had that uneasy, slightly terrifying edge. It was also a story that could be enjoyed all together or separated into a radio drama series. I could clearly hear why this production of the The Graveyard Book earned an Audie Award.

I would highly recommend listening to both versions of The Graveyard Book. Both audiobook versions were fantastic. I don't want to say the Gaiman narration or the full cast audio were better than the other. They were both delightful! When an excellent book is paired with an amazing audio, it's a book I want to share with everyone! In addition to the story, Neil Gaiman adds an essay about the creation of The Graveyard Book. It was a beautiful and thoughtful addition. He also hinted about checking up on Silas and what he's up to back home. Gaiman also said that, as with The Graveyard Book, another book would come in it's own time.

Reviewed from a library copy.

Audio Book Details...
The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
Read by Full Cast
Produced by Harper Audio
Number of Discs: 7 CDs
Total Time: 8 hours 24 minutes
Release Date: September 2014
ISBN: 9780062364463

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...