Friday, September 15, 2017

Review: The Radium Girls

Fascinating. Horrifying. What do you know about radium and the Radium Girls?

Radium is a huge part of our history. It was a magical new element around the turn of the century. It was the one thing many sought, but few could hold. Yet when we look back with the knowledge we have today, it's a terrifying part of the past.



When I saw The Radium Girls: The Dark Story of America's Shining Women at the library, it looked fascinating. I didn't know much about the radium era, and wanted to learn more about it. Author Kate Moore has written a wonderful book on the lives of the radium women. She drew her information from published and previously unpublished sources. Moore's fascination began with a theatre play and ended with a book that gives readers a glimpse into the lives of women who changed history, litigation, and science. Job well done! I would recommend this book to everyone! I couldn't wait to take a drive in my car so I could continue hearing about The Radium Girls.

Angela Brazil narrated The Radium Girls. This is the first time I've heard Brazil read an audiobook. Brazil has a strong, firm voice. Other listeners thought her voice sounded harsh, but I heard determination of telling a haunting story. I think a gentler voice could have made this story too sad to hear. I would listen to Brazil again, but she is not a narrator I would seek out.

Additional information about Radium Girls:
The Spectator newspaper article
Radium Girls on Wikipedia
The Radium Girls on Audible (with review)

Reviewed from a library copy.

Audio Book Details...
The Radium Girls: The Dark Story of America's Shining Women by Kate Moore
Read by Angela Brazil
Produced by HighBridge, a Division of Recorded Books
Number of Discs: 13
Total Time: 15 hours, 51 minutes
Release Date: May 2017
ISBN: 9781681684215

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...