Friday, July 6, 2012

The Help

The HelpThe Help by Kathryn Stockett

A friend told me about The Help before the movie came out. I tend to read more juvenile fiction, YA, or faith fiction, so I set it aside for the moment. As more friends shared the enjoyment of the book, I added it to my "to-read" mental list. As the book gained popularity and became a film, I sat down and placed a library hold on The Help. It wasn't until I finished another audiobook that I finally picked up and listened to The Help.

More? Ms. Stockett can you please give me more!? 

To date, The Help has been the longest audiobook I have followed with 15 discs. It looked daunting, but once it began I couldn't listen to the CDs fast enough. The Help told the story of several ladies who lived in Jackson, Mississippi during the 1960's. Stockett shares the stories of society ladies and stories about household help. This novel will touch your heart and give much food for thought. She wraps up her characters very well, but I greedily want to know more. I want to follow the lived of these amazing characters. I want to hear how Baby Girl grows up and how Aibileen becomes a writer. I want to see the new Skeeter and if she meets a special someone. I want...so much more.

Well, listeners (and readers) will just have to wait and see.

The multiple readers added a beautiful flair to this piece. The readers gave life to Aibileen Clark, Eugenia "Skeeter" Phelan, and Minny Jackson. The middle section that embodied all the characters (like a news article about the benefit) was read by a seperate narrator. The middle section was the strangest, but after talking with someone who read the book verses listening to it, it was understandable. A highlight was listening to Octavia Spencer. I enjoy her numerous roles as an actress and she was also the movie version of Minny.

Reviewed from a library copy.

Audio Book Details...
The Help by Kathryn Stockett
Read by Jenna Lamia, Bahni Turpin, Octavia Spencer, and Cassandra Campbell
Produced by Penguin Audio
Number of Discs: 15
Total Time: ca. 18 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...