Monday, December 26, 2011

Fablehaven

Brandon Mull created the world of Fablehaven in 2006. The idea of a sanctuary for mystical creatures intrigued me and I set the book on my "to-read" list. It wasn't until I discovered the audiobook of Fablehaven at the library in 2009. What a great solution! I will listen to Fablehaven. I was blown away by the story and the narrator E. B. Stevens. I was also thrilled to have jumped in late as a reader. I only needed to wait one year for the last installment of Fablehaven. I don't want to give too much information away, but I want to interest every reader (or listener) to find Fablehaven and enjoy Mull's creation.

Fablehaven opens with Seth and Kendra being dropped off at their Grandparent's home. They have never been there and they would rather not be there. Grandpa welcomes his grandchildren and shares a mystery with Kendra. Kendra uncovers a secret and precocious Seth follows right along (at least when he's not running ahead and getting into trouble). When the siblings realize the enormity of Fablehaven's existance, there is no going back to living normal. Their journey continues as they meet friends, enemies, creatures of light and creatures of dark. Friends and loved ones come and go, but Fablehaven needs to stand so the Sorenson family has a home and the world will not be overrun by dark creatures.

I could listen to this series over and over again. Mull's play with words is fantastic. He doesn't use simple words for little listeners (or readers). Adults, teens and tweens will enjoy these novels. Similar to Rowling, Mull doesn't shy away from difficult subjects including betrayal, loss and battle. As people have stated for years..."I laughed, I cried, it was great!"

The narrator, E. B. Stevens is amazing. Stevens created so much feeling with each character. Some characters required a some computer enhancing, but it did not take away from the storyline. I believe it enhanced the characters. Stevens creativity places next to Jim Dale in my book. I look forward to hearing Stevens' voices again.

Fablehaven (2006)
8 CDs and 9 hrs, 30 mins
Rise of the Evening Star (2007)
10 CDs and 12 hrs
Grip of the Shadow Plague (2008)
11 CDs and 13.6 hrs
Secrets of the Dragon Sanctuary (2009)
12 CDs and 15.6 hrs
Keys to the Demon Prison (2010)
14 CDs and 17 hrs, 45 mins

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...